A prime measure of industry performance is the National Passenger Survey (NPS), which measures all the Train Operating Companies in the UK, twice a year. The NPS measures many areas of customer service including operating performance, cleanliness of trains and stations, attitude and helpfulness of staff and how well each company deals with delays. Dealing with delays is consistently the worst scoring area and is currently averaging around 32% across the industry.
Whilst the main focus of the franchise contract is on reliability, safety and punctuality, it also contains commitments to improve customer service.
CCL are currently working with a number of operators on these issues including improving customer experience, satisfaction and NPS scores, improving staff satisfaction and culture scores, increasing revenues, improving call centre operations and increasing team work and adherence to process.
See below for an outline of our work in this sector, or visit Case Studies for more in-depth examples
- Fact-find and Root Cause Analysis
- Customer Information Strategy
- Implementation of new management structure for frontline staff, processes and training measurement
- Customer Satisfaction score rose 23% after launch.
“CCL provided focus, direction, know-how and delivered our objective but more importantly our customer’s needs. The results were stunning and our customers thought so too. Both visually and behaviourally you could see the difference in the offering with regard to customer information.”
Richard Brown, Head of Operations, Heathrow Express
South West Trains
- End-to-end process developed
- IT enablers delivered
- 2,500 people trained in new processes
- Measurement system designed & implemented
- Integration with management workstream
- NPS increased from 29% to 46% in 12 months.
“Our experience is that they work hard to understand the issues in detail, have excellent project planning and management skills, develop practical solutions and are effective at challenging established thinking. We have been very pleased with their work and would seriously consider working with them again”
James Burt, Operations Director, South West Trains
- Redesigned the customer service operating model
- Designed & implemented new KPIs, SLAs, MI & scorecard
- Improved operational management
- 100% increase in calls answered within 20 seconds
- Calls abandoned reduced from 15% to 3%
- Reduction in staff absenteeism from 11% to 5%
- Produced a detailed operating blueprint for future operations.
“We are very pleased with the results and staff feedback is positive. CCL has brought key benefits, including wide contact centre experience. Unlike larger consultancies, where there is a fixed way of doing things, CCL has been very flexible and our people are learning a lot as they carry the project forward.”
David Bird, Customer Services Director, National Express