Customer Experience Improvement Programme across the back and front office of a leading Life Assurance company.
Aviva is the world’s fifth-largest insurance group and the largest insurance services provider in the UK. They are the leading provider of life and pension products in Europe and are actively growing their long-term savings businesses in Asian markets, Australia and the USA. Their main activities are long-term savings, fund management and general insurance. They have premium income and investment sales of £49.2 billion and £364 billion of funds under management and have 57,000 employees serving over 45 million customers.
Over an 8 month period CCL helped Aviva Life to create a fast turnaround of performance whilst strengthening the future of their operations.
Following a significant drop in Customer Satisfaction scores and unsuccessful attempts to raise it using internal resources, CCL planned and led a Service Recovery programme across Life Customer Service operations.
Led by Account Director Simon Rustom, CCL carried out the following:
Identifying the root cause – not just fixing the symptom
- Worked with front-line staff focus group, and used complaints and customer satisfaction data to understand and validate the root cause issues facing the business.
- Appointed work stream leaders, with skill sets matched to the root causes; generated terms of reference with each work stream lead to ensure clarity of brief, scope, etc.
Making it work
- Implemented governance and project management frameworks to track progress, manage risks and ensure validated benefits delivery – making a real difference to the customer
- Provided day to day operational management support to the work stream leaders, escalating issues to the directors and helping break through internal barriers to deliver results
- Maintained close contact with front line focus group to make sure we were fixing the right problems and that their customers were feeling the benefit.
Tracking the benefits
Despite the current volatile conditions, within 3 months we have achieved the following:
- 2.25 million customer transactions positively affected (20% of total)
- Achieved 69% of processes consistently within agreed service standards (up from 41%)
- 4% increase in customer advocacy scores, from 63-67% (which hadn’t moved for 2 years)
- Minimum £150,000 reduction in costs, through removal of non value-add contact
- Stepped in to manage bonds processing; putting clear governance and backlog clearance techniques in place, reduced backlog from 1500 to 850 hours in two weeks, whilst maintaining quality.